SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Sacred Heart, 58-44, on Sunday night to conclude the two-game series.
Senior Brooke Bjelko led the Bulldogs as the lone double-digit scorer for the second-straight game with 12 points. Freshman Stephanie Mayerhofer added a career-high nine points and netted the only three three-pointers for Bryant.
Sacred Heart 58, Bryant 44
Records: Bryant (5-7, 3-5) | Sacred Heart (7-5, 7-3)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Sacred Heart capitalized on Bryant's lack of offense in the second quarter by draining three-of-five from three-point range and outscored the Bulldogs, 14-6. The six-point lead to close out the first half was all Sacred Heart needed to outlast the Bulldogs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant jumped out to a small two-point lead at the end of the first quarter after holding Sacred Heart to its lowest shooting performance of the night of 26.7% from the field (4-15).
- The lead was short-lived when the Pioneers took off on a 9-2 run to start the second quarter. Sacred Heart held Bryant to just six points in the second frame as the Bulldogs shot three-of-12 from the field and were 0-for-3 from behind the arc.
- Kandis Taylor passed the ball to Bjelko slashing to the elbow for a jumper that kickstarted a 5-0 run for the Bulldogs. The run put Bryant within four, 29-25. Each team went back-and-forth but Sacred Heart pulled away when they scored four-straight to close out the quarter, 39-31.
- The Pioneers grew to a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter and six-straight free throws closed out the game, 58-44.
- Bjelko led with 12 points shooting four-of-13 from the field.
- Taylor was the team leader tonight with seven rebounds, six assists, and two steals.
- Mayerhofer posted nine points entirely from three-point range shooting three-of-six. She finished the game with six rebounds.
- Mariona Planes Fortuny added eight points, six rebounds, one steal, and a game-high five blocks.
- Juliette Golden finished the game with five points and five rebounds.
- Bryant shot 16-of-53 from the field and three-of-10 from long distance. All three of Bryant's three's came from Mayerhofer.
- Both teams each pulled down 40 rebounds.
- Mayerhofer's nine points is a career-high.
- Fortuny posted a career-best of five blocks.
- Taylor tied her career-best of six assists for the third time this season. She leads the team with 3.1 assists per game.
- Bryant falls to 6-22 all-time against Sacred Heart.
The Bulldogs host Merrimack for a midweek tilt on Wednesday, Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. on NEC Front Row.