SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Brooke Bjelko of the Bryant University women's basketball team recorded her fifth career 20 point game in the 63-60 home loss against Brown this evening. Juliette Golden scored a career-high 14 points, and Alana Perkins hit double figures for the third consecutive game (12).
Records: Bryant (0-3, 0-0) |Brown (1-2, 0-0)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- The Bulldogs missed two three-pointers in the last 30 seconds of the game to tie it.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bears outscored the Black and Gold 12-6 heading into the first quarter media timeout.
- The Bulldogs responded with six points of their own from Mariona Planes Fortuny, Brooke Bjelko, and Juliette Golden. During that stretch, Brown tallied seven points to earn a 19-12 lead through one quarter.
- To start the second quarter, Megan Bodziony hit back-to-back layups including, putting a spin move on one of the Brown defenders for the fastbreak layin.
- Brown outscored Bryant 10-7, resulting in a 29-21 advantage with one minute and nine seconds left in the first half.
- Then Perkins drilled two shots from beyond the arc to cut the deficit to four as Brown scored from in-close before halftime (31-27).
- Perkins began the third quarter as she ended the second with a made three-pointer. Teammates Fortuny, Fatou Jallow, and Bjelko all scored in the paint to earn the Bulldogs a 9-4 run and the lead (36-35) before the media timeout.
- The Black and Gold and Brown went back and forth in the remaining of the third quarter. Bryant achieved the lead outscoring Brown 10-9 in the last four and a half minutes (46-44).
- The final quarter had seven lead changes, and the score was tied 56-56 with a little over two minutes remaining. Golden led the Bulldogs to a one-point advantage after hitting consecutive layups. Brow responded with six straight points to win 63-60.
- Bjelko scored 20 points for the first time this season.
- Golden tallied a career-high 14 points.
- Perkins scored 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting from three.
- The Bulldogs outrebounded Brown 42-23.
- Fortuny dished out a career-high three assists.
- Bjelko posted 20 points for the fifth time in her career.
- The Black and Gold hit at least 40 rebounds for the second time this year.
- Perkins hit double figures for the third straight game.
- Golden recorded a career-high 14 points.
The Bulldogs will face Michigan State on the road, Friday with a noon tip-off.