O'Connor tallies career-high in loss to Wagner
SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Shannon O'Connor of the Bryant University women's basketball team scored a career-high 17 points on 50% shooting in the 68-52 home loss against Wagner at the Chace Athletic Center.
Fatou Jallow tallied 12 points, and Brooke Bjelko posted 11 points. The Bulldogs had six players available to play due to Covid-19 protocols and kept the game close for three quarters, including being down 44-42 heading into the final quarter of the game.
Bryant (3-11, 1-2) Wagner (9-3, 3-0)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Wagner outscored the Black and Gold 24-10 in the fourth quarter.
How it Happened
- The Bulldogs got off to a great start outscoring the Seahawks 15-5 in the first six minutes of the game. Jallow scored eight on two three-pointers, Megan Bodziony tallied three, Juliette Golden posted three, and O'Connor had two. Wagner came back scoring 14 compared to the Black and Golds 4, resulting in a 19-19 tie at the end of the first quarter. Bodziony and Bjelko each posted two.
- The second quarter was a back-and-forth affair, with Wagner earning the slight 12-9 edge. O'Connor posted three, Bjelko and Fatou Jallow scored two, and Bodziony and Golden both had a free throw.
- After halftime, both teams kept the same intensity, and Bryant outscored the Seahawks 14-13 in the period. O'Connor carried the load, scoring eight points. Bjelko tallied four, and Jallow posted four. The Bulldogs were down two heading into the fourth quarter (44-42).
- In the final quarter, Wagner broke the game open and outscored Bryant 24-10. This resulted in a 68-52 loss for the Black and Gold. O'Connor posted four, and Bodziony and Bjelko recorded three each.
- O'Connor scored 17 points and had eight rebounds.
- Jallow posted 12 points.
- Bjelko recorded 11 points and nine rebounds.
- Golden grabbed nine boards.
- Bryant shot 38% from the field, and 33% from deep.
- The Bulldogs went 13-16 from the charity stripe (81%).
- O'Connor recorded a career-high 17 points on 50% shooting.
- Bjelko reached double figures for a fourth straight game.
- Jallow hit double figures for a third consecutive game.
- Golden posted a career-high nine rebounds.
The Bulldogs will host Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday, starting a 1:00 p.m.