NEW BRITAIN, CONN. – Senior Natalie Langella erupted for a career-high six goals to help the Bryant University women's lacrosse team to its first win of the 2021 season at Central Connecticut on Wednesday afternoon.
Ten different Bulldogs had a hand in Bryant's scoring frenzy as the Bulldogs topped the Blue Devils, 18-3.
Bryant 18, Central Connecticut 3
Records: Bryant (1-1, 1-1) | Central Connecticut (0-7, 0-5)
Location: Arute Field (New Britain, Conn.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the first two minutes of the game, Alexa Weber fired the ball into the back of the net to kick off Bryant's scoring as the Bulldogs poured in nine goals within the first ten minutes of play. Emily Diaz, Devon Bolen, Caitlin Bolen, Natalie Langella, Skylar Simmonds, and Lily Auger each took part in the 9-0 run.
- Central Connecticut broke up Bryant's run with just under 13 minutes left in the first half, but the Bulldogs responded by netting three more before halftime from Langella, Caitlin Bolen, and Diaz.
- The Blue Devils started the second half by netting two quick goals but Bryant quickly halted CCSU's scoring and did not allow to let another pass for the remainder of the game.
- Four minutes after Central's scoring spurt, Langella netted three-straight before Alleigh Kempf, Peyton Woodward, and Brooke Blanche closed out the game with their first career goals.
- Langella led the Bryant scoring with a career-high six goals. The senior posted 10 shots, nine of which were on target, one assist, and one draw control.
- Diaz took part in five of Bryant's 18 goals today as she posted two goals and a career-best three assists.
- Junior Cassidy Burns dished out a career-high four assists.
- Megan McCarthy commanded the circle with a game-high 10 draw controls and picked up Bryant's lone caused turnover of the game.
- The Bolen twins each tallied two goals apiece.
- On the defensive end, Shea Farrell led the Bulldogs with three groundballs which tie her career-best.
- Auger, Simmonds, and Weber all posted one goal apiece and fired three shots.
- Kempf, Woodward, and Blanche each netted the first goals of their careers in the Black and Gold.
- Sophomore Sam Ciancio picked up her first career win as she stopped a career-high of seven while in between the pipes.
- Bryant outshot CCSU, 43-15, and put 28 on goal.
- The Bulldogs grow to 12-2 all-time against the Blue Devils and 5-1 in New Britain.
UP NEXT: MOUNT ST. MARY'S
Bryant hosts Mount St. Mary's in its home opener this Saturday, March 24 at 1 p.m. on NEC Front Row.