Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Mount St. Mary downs Bryant in home opener

Photo by:
Photo by:

SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University fell to Mount St. Mary's, 21-11, in its home opener at Beirne Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Mount St. Mary's 21, Bryant 11
Records: Bryant (1-2, 1-2), Mount St. Mary's (6-2, 5-0)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)


"Mount is a well-coached team that knows how to cover every aspect of the game. Our players showed a lot of intensity and heart. We need to channel that intensity into productive plays. We'll use this as a learning experience and get back to work."


  • Mount St. Mary's started off with a quick 3-0 lead until back-to-back goals from Natalie Langella stopped the Mountaineer run and put Bryant within one.
  • The Mountaineers went on to net two more before Alexa Weber netted two-straight goals to spark a 4-1 Bryant run to tie the game at six-all just under the midway point in the half.
  • Mount St. Mary's responded to Bryant's run by outscoring the Bulldogs 8-2 to close out the first half. Bryant trailed 14-8 at the halftime break.
  • Jordan Groover started the scoring in the second half for the Mountaineers, but just three minutes later, Devon Bolen rushed the goal and found the back of the net to bring Bryant within six, 15-9.
  • Bryant would score two more, with goals from Cassidy Burns and Emma Lindquist, but the Mountaineers outscored the Bulldogs with six to end the game, 21-11.


  • Weber led the Bulldogs with three goals and one assist.
  • Langella, Burns, and Bolen each netted two goals apiece. Burns also tallied one assist.
  • Senior Shea Farrell dished out the first assist of her career.
  • Sam Ciancio and Burns led with two groundballs each.
  • Megan McCarthy won five draw controls.
  • Giana Kapoosuzian and Ciancio shared time in between the pipes. Ciancio started the game and picked up five saves, while Kapoosuzian posted six.
  • Mount St. Mary's outshot Bryant, 34-26.

Bryant hits the road and takes the short trip to Merrimack on Wednesday, March 31 for a 12 p.m. meeting.