WEST WINDSOR, N.J. -- The second-seeded Bryant University women's tennis team vanquished some demons and advanced to the Northeast Conference Championship with a 4-1 victory over sixth-seeded Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday afternoon.
Bryant will face top-seeded Long Island University in Sunday's championship match. It will be the Bulldogs' fourth appearance in the title match and first since 2018. Bryant and LIU have also met in the NEC finals in 2015 and 2018.
On Saturday, Bryant exacted some revenge, defeating an FDU team that had ended the Bulldogs' season in 2016, 2017 and 2019.
Bryant 4, Fairleigh Dickonson 1
Records: Bryant (4-6), FDU (2-6)
How It Happened
- Bryant won the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The Bulldogs won 6-4 at 2 and 6-2 at 3 to clinch the point.
- The Bulldogs clinched the match with victories at No. 4, No. 6 and No. 3 singles.
- Leanne Kendall grabbed the first singles point with a straight-set win at No. 4.
- Olivia Rondini continued her outstanding rookie season with a straight-set victory at No. 6.
- Arianna Oropeza added to her illustrious resume with a three-set victory at No. 3 singles to close out the match.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant advances to the NEC Championship match for the fourth time in program history. The Bulldogs won their only title in 2015 and lost in the finals in both 2016 and 2018.
- Oropeza improved to 4-1 in her career at the NEC Tournament.
- The Bulldogs' claimed their first win over the Knights since 2018.
- Rondini improved to 5-0 against NEC opponents this season.
No. 1 - Boru (BRY) vs. Vorozheikinia (FDU), 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-1, unfinished
No. 2 - Eftenoui (FDU) def. Hickey (BRY), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
No. 3 - Oropeza (BRY) def. Lasheen (FDU), 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
No. 4 - Kendall (BRY) def. Singh (FDU), 6-0, 6-3
No. 5 - Baeza (BRY) vs. Gulia (FDU), 4-6, 6-6 (4-0) unfinished
No. 6 - Rondini (BRY) def. Vladescu (FDU), 6-2, 6-4
No. 1 - Boru/Kendall (BRY) vs. Eftenoui/Lasheen (FDU), 5-5, unfinished
No. 2 - Hickey/Estrada (BRY) def. Vorozheikina/Vladescu (FDU), 6-4
No. 3 - Oropeza/Rondini (BRY) def. Singh/Gulia (FDU), 6-2
The Bulldogs will face top-seeded LIU on Sunday. The match will not start before 12:30 p.m.