SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team fell in straight sets to Robert Morris Friday night in the Bulldogs' first defeat of the conference season.
Sophomore Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) led the Black and Gold with 13 kills while hitting .400 for the match.
Robert Morris 3, Bryant 0 (16-25, 17-25, 22-25)
Records: Bryant (8-12, 3-1), Robert Morris (12-3, 2-0)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Too many unforced errors kept us from getting into any kind of rhythm tonight. We need to learn from this and refocus tomorrow."
How it Happened
- Set 1 - Robert Morris jumped out to a 7-2 lead and controlled throughout. Kennedy led the Bulldogs with three kills in the first set.
- Set 2 - Bryant led 11-7 before RMU countered with a 10-1 run to lead the rest of the way. The Colonials closed the set on a 6-2 run.
- Set 3 - Bryant trailed 18-13 before a 7-2 run, capped off by a kill from sophomore Maya Popernik (Chicago, Ill.), tied the score at 20 apiece. The Colonials answered and sealed the three-set victory by scoring five of the final seven points of the match.
- Kennedy led Bryant with 13 kills, marking the most kills the sophomore has posted against a conference foe so far this season.
- Junior Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) collected 13 digs to improve to 1,231 for her career - 144 shy of Kristin Kingi's program record.
- Freshman Emma McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) added five kills while redshirt-junior Sydney Gorski (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Popernik each contributed four kills and an ace. Gorski added a block.
- The Bulldogs were tripped up by 11 service errors and nine receiving errors in the three-set match.
- Bryant falls to 10-13 all-time against Robert Morris.
Bryant continues a five-match stretch at the Chace Athletic Center when the Bulldogs host Saint Francis U at 5 p.m. Tickets for Saturday's contest and all 2019 home matches are available HERE.