HACKENSACK, N.J. – The Bryant University volleyball team erased a two-set deficit and broke its Division I record in single-match blocks record at Fairleigh Dickinson for a midweek doubleheader. The Bulldogs came back and took the first match 3-2 before their blocking efforts propelled them to a 3-1 victory.
Match 1: Bryant 3, Fairleigh Dickinson 2 (22-25, 23-25, 25-19, 25-23, 15-11)
Match 2: Bryant 3, Fairleigh Dickinson 1 (25-23, 23-25, 25-19, 25-22)
Records: Bryant (4-3, 4-2) | Fairleigh Dickinson (3-5, 2-4)
Location: Rothman Center (Hackensack, N.J.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"So so much to say. Our middles were stellar on both defensive blocking and being up and available to attack. Mia did a great job getting the ball to Alysa Wright and Abby Snethen. In scrappy notches like these, your defense really needs to step up. Erika Ward, Abby Rae, Fabi Castro, and Mia Cergol all answered the call. Proud of our young team for coming back from down two to win in five. These types of matches build character."
How it Happened – Match 1
- Set 1 – Fairleigh Dickinson posted six blocks and held Bryant to just a .067 hitting percentage in the first set. The Bulldogs posted 11 attack errors compared to FDU's three as the Knights held on, 25-22.
- Set 2 – The two teams battled back and forth for the entirety of the second set and an FDU kill tied it up at 22-all. Alysa Wright notched one more kill, but the Knights outscored Bryant, 3-1 to take the second set by a small margin, 25-23.
- Set 3 – Bryant erupted for 18 kills in the third set and posted its best hitting percentage of the match, .333 (0-0-0).
- Set 4 – Bryant battled back and tied the set at 22-all to spark a quick 3-1 spurt to force a fifth set, 25-23.
- Set 5 – The Bulldogs took an immediate 5-0 advantage to start the fifth set and didn't look back as they refused to relinquish their lead to close out the match.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 1
- Emma McGovern led the Bulldogs in kills with a season-high of 16. She posted a .189 hitting percentage and tallied four digs and three blocks.
- Wright hit .409 off 12 kills. She led with Bryant with four service aces and five blocks.
- Fabiana Castro posted a career-high 14 kills and 15 digs for her first career double-double. She also tallied a pair of blocks.
- Junior Caroline Kennedy hit .161 off 11 kills.
- Mia Cergol tallied a career-best 46 assists and 12 digs.
- Senior Erika Ward led the Black and Gold with a season-best 21 digs.
- As a team, Bryant posted a .176 hitting percentage (66-35-176).
- The match marked the first five-set match of the season for the Bulldogs.
How it Happened – Match 2
- Set 1 – The Bulldogs started the second match on fire as they erupted for a match-high 17 kills in the first set. The offensive outburst helped the Bulldogs maintain a lead that they would not give up for the remainder of the set.
- Set 2 – The two teams tied the score on four occasions in the second set, but the Bulldogs committed nine attack errors which the Knights capitalized on. FDU took the second set, 25-23.
- Set 3 – It was neck and neck until a kill from Cergol sparked a 6-0 run to propel the Bulldogs to take the third set, 25-19.
- Set 4 – The set was tied at 19-all when the Knights committed a blocking error to help the Bulldogs to a 5-1 run to win the second match of the day.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 2
- For the fourth straight match, McGovern led the offense with 14 kills.
- Kennedy trailed closely behind with 13 kills and led with a career-high eight blocks.
- Wright matched Kennedy with eight blocks as she tied her career-best. She also hit .375 off 11 kills.
- Ward tallied 28 digs.
- Cergol tied her career-high of 48 assists and posted 20 digs.
- Freshman Abby Snethen posted eight kills and five blocks.
- Freshman Josie Deluga appeared in all four sets and tallied 15 digs.
- Bryant broke its Division I record for team blocks in a single-match with 28. The record was set at 20.5 in 2014 at Sacred Heart.