SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team split with Central Connecticut on Tuesday evening. The Bulldogs took the first match in five sets, 3-2, but fell in the second match, 3-1.
Match 1: Bryant 3, Central Connecticut 2 (18-25, 25-19, 25-22, 24-26, 15-13)
Match 2: Central Connecticut 3, Bryant 1 (33-31, 19-25, 25-17, 25-17)
Records: Bryant (5-4, 5-3) | Central Connecticut (5-4, 4-4)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Tonight was a total team effort with multiple players stepping up. Riley and Erika were the ringleaders and were very steady. It was a defensive battle between two gutsy teams."
How it Happened – Match 1
- Set 1 – Central forced Bryant to its lowest hitting percentage of the match, at just .100 (12-8-40). The Blue Devils capitalized by hitting .324 (13-2-34) to take the first set, 25-18.
- Set 2 – A kill from Alysa Wright sparked a 6-0 run for the Bulldogs as they grew to a seven-point lead and never looked back.
- Set 3 - The Blue Devils tied the score at 17-all before Emma McGovern notched a kill followed by a solo block to spark four-straight points. Bryant rode out its lead for the remainder of the set, 25-22.
- Set 4 – Central Connecticut erased a seven-point deficit (23-16) and outscored the Bulldogs, 9-1, to force a fifth set.
- Set 5 – Bryant called a timeout as they led by one, 14-13. After the timeout, Riley James hammered the ball home to take the match, 3-2.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 2
- Both Fabiana Castro and Wright posted ten kills each.
- Emma McGovern led the offense with a hitting percentage of .342 off 15 kills.
- Erika Ward set a career-best of 34 digs.
- As a team, the Bulldogs posted 24 kills led by Wright with seven.
- Mia Cergol posted a double-double of 48 assists and 16 digs. The 48 assists mark a career-best.
- Bryant posted a hitting percentage of .222 (63-23-180)
How it happened – Match 2
- Set 1 – A Central Connecticut kill tied the game at 24-all and the two teams went nearly point-for-point until a Blue Devil kill, followed by a Bryant attack error, gave Central the first set, 33-31.
- Set 2 – McGovern broke a 12-12 tie and kicked off a 7-0 run. Central pulled as close as two, but the Bulldogs held on for their lone set win of the match, 25-19.
- Set 3 – The Blue Devils jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead that they didn't give up for the entirety of the set. A ball-handling error by the Bulldogs gave Central its largest lead of the set, 18-10, which gave them the momentum to close out the set, 25-17.
- Set 4 – The fourth set was very similar to the third, as Central grew to an early 8-1 advantage. An attack error by the Blue Devils pulled Bryant within seven, but Central's Mia Lombardo smacked the ball past Bryant in the very next play to win the game.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 2