SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team split with Long Island on Wednesday night to conclude the 2021 spring season.
Match 1: Bryant 3, Long Island 2 (21-25, 25-20, 25-14, 26-28, 15-9)
Match 2: LIU 3, Bryant 1 (20-25, 25-11, 23-25, 24-26)
Records: Bryant (6-5, 6-4) | LIU (8-5, 8-4)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Hard-fought battle tonight. Great leadership, sad to see the season come to an end."
How it Happened – Match 1
- Set 1 – Both teams nearly traded point-for-point to start the first match as LIU held Bryant to its lowest hitting percentage of the match of .094 (15-9-64). The Sharks took the first set, 25-21 .
- Set 2 – Bryant made it difficult for the Sharks to get the ball past their front line as the Bulldogs posted eight blocks in the second set to hold LIU, 25-20.
- Set 3 – Sophomore Riley James posted eight-straight kills in a 9-0 run to give Bryant the lead, 13-4. The lead gave Bryant the momentum to maintain the lead and take the set, 25-14.
- Set 4 – The fourth set saw seven moments where the score was even, and four lead changes. With the score tied at 26-all, Bryant committed two-straight attack errors to give LIU to fourth set, 28-26.
- Set 5 – Bryant jumped out to a quick 5-1 start and never looked back as they convincingly won the fifth set, 15-9, to win the first match.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 1
- Emma McGovern led the Bulldogs with 18 kills. The sophomore posted a .244 hitting percentage (18-7-45), seven digs, and two blocks.
- Caroline Kennedy posted a hitting percentage of .318 off 11 kills. She also posted four blocks.
- Sophomore Alysa Wright tallied 12 kills and posted an impressive hitting percentage of .579.
- Erika Ward notched 25 digs.
- Mia Cergol tallied a career-best 52 assists.
How it Happened – Match 2
- Set 1 – LIU hit .176 (13-7-34) and took the first set, 25-20.
- Set 2 – The Bulldogs dominated the second set when they took an early 7-2 lead. Bryant poured in 17 kills and posted its best hitting percentage of the night at .552 (17-1-29).
- Set 3 – The third set saw nine tied scores and three lead changes. At 24-all, LIU scored back-to-back points to take the set, 26-24.
- Set 4 – The two teams battled back and forth for the entirety of the set, but LIU's offense erupted for 19 kills, compared to Bryant's 13, as the Sharks topped the Bulldogs in the fifth frame, 26-24.
Stats/Game Notes – Match 2
- Kennedy led with 15 kills.
- James posted 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Ward led with 21 digs.
- Cergol tallied 43 assists.
- Haley O'Brien led with 7 blocks and she added eight kills.
- Wright trailed O'Brien with six blocks. She also contributed 10 kills.