SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's and women's cross country team host both Sacred Heart and Merrimack to open the season on Saturday, Feb. 13. The race will serve as a way for the teams to prepare before competing in the NEC Championship which will also be held on the Bryant campus in Smithfield.
*The State of Rhode Island determined that spectators will not be allowed at any outdoor collegiate sporting events until further notice..*
Teams: Sacred Heart and Merrimack
Location: Bryant University (Smithfield, R.I.)
Time: 3:30 p.m. (men) | 4:00 p.m. (women)
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- It's been over a year since the two teams last competed. Their last race was the NCAA Regional on Nov. 15, 2019.
- Both the men and women were selected to finish fifth overall in the NEC this season as depicted in the conference preseason poll. Last season, both teams finished sixth at the NEC Championship.
- The women return All-Conference selection Julia Ayres who was one of Bryant's top runners a year ago. Ayres finished 13th overall at the 2019 NEC Championship.
- Sophomore Abby Hamilton also returns for the women after earning All-Rookie honors last season thanks to a top-30 finish at the NEC Championship. Hamilton was the third rookie to cross the finish line and was among the top three female finishers for the Black and Gold in every race in 2019.
- On the men's side, they return two All-Rookie selections in Jonathan Iamarone and Evan Coyne. The duo finished fifth and sixth among NEC freshman at the championship meet.
- Senior Jordan Dagrin and junior Jason Dolan return as the top male runners from 2019. Dagrin led the Bulldogs at NECs with a 23rd-place finish while Dolan trailed closely behind in 31st.
- Ten freshmen join the Bulldogs this year including six men and four women. Ashton Burnett, Aidan Hickey, Nolan Hickey, Adam Kaiser, Alex Petruso, and Luke Silva represent the men, while Marissa Crowley, Ali Kairys, Morgan Marckres, and Grace Sullivan will all make their debut for the women.