SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Jason Dolan earned finished first out of 28 male runners to kick off the 2021 season and bring home a first-place team win for the Bryant University cross country team. The men posted five runners in the top-10 including a third-place finish from junior William Bittirch.
COACH SWITZER COMMENTS
"There were a lot of nerves going into today having not raced in so long, but watching how they all raced you'd never be able to tell. It's awesome to get back at it and finish with a slew of PRs across the program and both an individual and team win on the men's side. With all the adversity they've faced in the past year, I'm glad they had the opportunity to compete again and pumped they were able to do it at such a high level."
INDIVIDUAL RESULTS (W)
3. Sarah Freeman – 18:38.9
5. Allison Corcoran – 18:52.6
11. Julia Ayres – 19:18.3
12. Jill Doherty – 19:24.0
17. Kierstin Lock – 19:51.7
23. Jess Cook – 20:09.9
26. Jackie Prestininzi – 20:21.5
29. Grace Sullivan – 20:35.3
31. Caroline Meizen – 20:43.1
34. Morgan Marckres – 21:06.7
39. Ellie Goyette – 21:34.0
45. Steph Malachowski – 23:38.8
INDIVIDUAL RESULTS (M)
1. Jason Dolan – 15:30.5
3. William Bittrich – 15:50.5
5. Peter Theuerkauf – 16:05.5
6. Nicholas Brancato – 16:21.4
7. Evan Coyne – 16:23.3
11. Aidan Macsweeney – 16:32.9
17. Jordan Dagrin – 16:50.8
21. Jonathan Iamarone – 17:10.6
23. Peter Sullivan – 17:24.1
TEAM RESULTS (W)
1. Sacred Heart – 30
2. Merrimack – 46
3. Bryant – 48
TEAM RESULTS (M)
1. Bryant – 18
2. Merrimack – 38
- Dolan led the Bulldogs in first place with a personal-best of 15:30.5 in the men's 5K. Dolan is the first Bulldog to finish in first place at a meet since Eimear Black in 2013 and is the first male Bulldog in Bryant's D1 era to finish first.
- Freeman also set a new personal-best time of 18:38.9 as she led the women in third in the women's 5K.
- Corcoran shattered her personal-best with a time of 18:52.6 crossing the finish line in fifth. The last time Corcoran ran competed in a meet on Bryant's campus was her rookie debut at the Nassaney Invitational in 2019 where she posted a time of 20:39.2.
- Junior William Bittrich improved his 5K time with a PR of 15:50.5. Bittrich paced himself with a 5:05 mile and finished third overall.
- Senior Peter Theuerkauf and sophomore Nicholas Brancato came in at five and six each with a new PR. Theuerkauf posted a time of 16:05.5 while Brancato finished with a time of 16:21.4.
- Sophomore Evan Coyne was the fifth Bulldog to crack the top-10 for the men with a seventh-place finish and a time of 16:23.3.
- Senior Kierstin Lock posted her best finish to date as she cracked the top-20 in the women's 5K Lock finished 17th overall with a PR of 19:51.7.
- Jillian Doherty, Jacqueline Prestininzi, and Aidan Macsweeney all posted personal-bests in the men's and women's 5K run.
Bryant is set to host the NEC Cross Country Championship on Sunday, Feb. 28 in Smithfield.