BLACKSBURG, Va. – Junior Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) homered and graduate student Mason Palmieri (Lincoln, R.I.) delivered four innings of one-run relief but the Bryant University baseball team dropped the first game of Sunday's doubleheader with Virginia Tech, 7-2, at English Field at Atlantic Union Bank Ballpark.
Kelly provided Bryant's only offense of the day with a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning. Palmieri entered in the fifth and delivered four innings of stellar relief. He allowed an unearned run on two hits, walked one and struck out three.
Virginia Tech 7, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (2-7), Virginia Tech (6-3)
Location: English Field at Atlantic Union Bank Ballpark
W|L|S: Anthony Simonelli (2-1) | Will Treuel (0-2) | Jaison Heard (1)
- Cade Hunter made it a three-run first for the Hokies with a two-out, two-run single up the middle.
How it Happened
- Virginia Tech loaded the bases with a triple, a walk and a HBP. Junior Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) struck out the next batter but a walk brought home the first run. After another strikeout, Hunter singled up the middle to score two.
- The Hokies extended their lead with single runs in the third and fourth and two runs in the fifth. A sac fly plated a run in the third, a home run produced the run in the fourth and a pair of unearned runs crossed the plate in the fifth.
- Kelly got the Bulldogs on the board as he launched a 3-2 pitch over the left center wall for a two-run home run in the sixth.
- Treuel allowed six runs (five earned) on five hits over four-plus innings. He walked four and struck out three.
- Palmieri allowed an unearned run on two hits, walked one and struck out three over four innings of relief.
- Sophomore Matt Woods (Warwick, R.I.) walked twice and a scored a run.
- Junior Nick Viscariello (Plymouth, Mass.) collected his fourth hit of the series.
- Bryant turned a pair of double plays in the game.
- Virginia Tech outhit the Bulldogs, 7-3.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 6-6 all-time against Virginia Tech.
- Ciliento has now reached safely in 16-straight games dating back to last season.
- Kelly has now reached safely in 11-straight games dating back to last season.
- Kelly's home run was the 10th of his career.
- Palmieri has now struck out 16 batters in 14.2 innings.
Bryant and Virginia Tech wrap up their weekend series with game two of Sunday's doubleheader.