SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team rallied for two runs in the bottom of the ninth to earn a 7-7 tie with in-state rival Rhode Island on Wednesday afternoon.
Opening Day at Conaty Park used every ounce of sunlight before eventually succumbing to the darkness after 10 innings. Bryant was playing at Conaty Park for the first time since May 12, 2019 (682 days).
Bryant 7, URI 7
Records: Bryant (5-7-1), URI (9-7-1)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Trailing 7-6 in the bottom of the ninth, McGill knocked a 1-2 pitch through the left side to score the tying run.
How it Happened
- Bryant grabbed the lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first. A fielding error in left advanced the runners into scoring position and Knight delivered a two-out, two-run single to center.
- URI answered with a two-run single in the top of the second. Two walks and a single loaded the bases and Austin White delivered a two-run single to left center.
- The Rams grabbed the lead with two in the fourth and one in the fifth. An error, single and perfectly-placed bunt single loaded the bases with no outs. Two sac flies made it 4-2.
- URI extended the lead to three with a two-out single from White in the fifth.
- Bryant rallied for a pair of two-out runs in the sixth. Tommy DiTullio and Woods both produced two-out hits on 0-2 pitches to make it a 5-4 game.
- The Black and Gold were able to tie the game in the seventh. James Ciliento opened the inning with a double down the left field line and then scampered to third on a line out to right. He scored on a wild pitch two pitches later.
- URI would regain the lead in the top of the ninth. A single, double and an intentional walk loaded the bases with no outs. Addison Kopack then hit a bounding ball to third that Woods leapt up and snagged with the tip of his glove. Woods, however, threw high to home, allowing the run to score. A single to right followed to make it 7-5. Kevin Gould, however, buckled down and got a strikeout, a ground ball to third and a ground ball to first to limit the damage.
- Bryant then went to work in the bottom of the ninth. Woods was hit by a 3-2 pitch to start the inning, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on consecutive ground outs. Jake Gustin then restarted the inning with a walk and took second on a passed ball. McGill followed by knocking a 1-2 pitch through the left side to score Gustin.
- URI outhit Bryant, 15-10.
- The Bulldogs committed three errors in the game.
- McGill finished 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Knight drove in two runs.
- DiTullio finished 2-for-5 with an RBI.
- Woods went 1-for-2 with an RBI, a run scored, a walk and an HBP.
- Luke Garofalo allowed two runs on five hits, walked two and struck out two over three innings.
- Christian Allegretti allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits in 2.0 innings of relief.
- Austin Wainer struck out two in a scoreless sixth.
- Liam LeVangie pitched a scoreless seventh.
- Kevin Gould allowed two runs (one earned) and struck out three over 2.0 innings.
- Jack Ipsen registered a scoreless 10th.
- Bryant is now 0-2-1 against URI this year.
- McGill posted his seventh multi-hit game of the year. It was his fifth three-hit game.
Bryant will travel to Emmitsburg, Md., for a three-game series against Mount St. Mary's. The series begins Friday at 3:00 p.m.