EMMITSBURG, Md. – Graduate student Liam McGill homered twice and drove in six runs to power the Bryant University baseball team to a 15-2 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Friday afternoon at E.T. Straw Family Stadium.
Bryant finished with the game with 20 hits and also clubbed five home runs. McGill finished 4-for-5 with two home runs, six RBI and three runs scored. Jake Gustin also homered and scored three times, while Damaurys Rodriguez posted his first-career three-hit game. James Ciliento, Matt Woods and Brian Nicolas also finished with multiple hits.
Tyler Mattison continued his dominance of the NEC, improving to 11-2 in 18 (15 starts) career NEC appearances. He allowed two runs on five hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out eight over 6.0 innings. Jack Halbruner and Will Treuel combined to toss 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Bryant 15, Mount St. Mary's 2
Records: Bryant (6-7-1, 4-0 NEC), Mount (5-12, 1-3 NEC)
Location: E.T. Straw Family Stadium (Emmitsburg, Md.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (3-2) | Josh Geber (0-1 |
- McGill helped the Black and Gold put up a crooked number in the first, hitting a two-run home run to center to make it 3-0.
How it Happened
- After Ciliento scored the first run of the game on a Mount error, McGill lifted a two-run home run over the center field wall to make it 3-0.
- Mount would get two runs back with a leadoff home run in the first and an RBI single in the third.
- Bryant, however, would strike for five in the fourth and two more in the fifth to open the game up. After Matt Woods delivered a sac fly in the fourth, Derek Smith launched his first-career home run to right field to make it 6-2. Two batters later, Gustin turned on a 3-1 pitch and sent it well over the right field wall to make it 7-2. Rodriguez capped the inning with a run-scoring single through the left side.
- In the fifth, Gustin doubled down the left field line to drive in a run and McGill followed with an RBI single up the middle.
- Bryant completed its scoring with four in the seventh and one in the ninth. McGill hit a three-run home run to right and Brian Nicolas delivered a run-scoring single in the seventh. Nicolas then led off the ninth with a long drive to center for his first-career home run.
- Bryant outhit Mount, 20-8.
- McGill finished 4-for-5 with two home runs, six RBI and three runs.
- Gustin went 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two RBI and three runs.
- Ciliento and Woods each collected two hits, with Ciliento scoring twice.
- Nicolas finished 2-for-2 with a home run, two RBI and two runs.
- Rodriguez went 3-for-6 with an RBI.
- Smith homered and drove in two.
- Mattison allowed two runs on five hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out eight over 6.0 innings.
- Halbruner struck out three over 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Treuel tossed a scoreless ninth.
- Bryant is now 38-5 all-time against the Mountaineers.
- Bryant hit a season-high five home runs in the game.
- McGill posted his eighth multi-hit game of the year. It was his first four-hit game.
- McGill is just the 10th player in DI program history to drive in six runs in a game and the first since Gaby Cruz on May 4, 2019 (against Mount).
- McGill has reached safely in 14-straight games.
- Gustin posted his seventh multi-hit game of the year and his second three-hit game.
- Gustin now has five doubles and two home runs on the year.
- Smith and Nicolas both hit the first home runs of their career.
- Smith has now reached safely in 11-straight games.
- Mattison improved to 11-2 in 18 appearances (15 starts) against NEC opponents.
- Mattison has struck out 17 and not walked a batter in two league starts this season.
- Halbruner recorded a career-high 2.0 innings of relief. He's struck out four in 4.0 innings of work.
- Rodriguez posted his first-career three-hit game and has hit safely in four-straight.
Bryant and Mount St. Mary's will wrap up their weekend series with a doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch in game one is set for 11:00 a.m.