NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – Senior Tyler Mattison tossed his second-career complete game and struck out 12 to lead the Bryant University baseball team to a 4-2 victory over Central Connecticut on Friday afternoon.
Mattison improved to 6-2 on the year and also became just the sixth pitcher in DI program history to record 20 career victories. The hard-throwing righty has now struck out 10+ batters in each of his last two starts and has pitched at least 8.0 innings in each of his last three outings.
Bryant's offense mustered enough run support, scoring in each of the first three innings before adding a key insurance run in the eighth. Derek Smith drove in a pair of runs and Jake Gustin doubled and stole a base.
Bryant 4, Central Connecticut 2
Records: Bryant (15-9-1, 12-1 NEC), CCSU (14-8, 11-5 NEC)
Location: CCSU Baseball Field (New Britain, Conn.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (6-2) | Andrew Braun (4-1)
- With the bases loaded and two outs in the eighth, Smith raced into left center and made a sliding catch to end the inning. It preserved a 4-1 lead.
How it Happened
- Bryant pushed across a run in the first on an RBI ground out from Smith. Matt Woods was hit by a pitch and moved to third on a Gustin double before scoring on the ground out.
- In the second, Damaurys Rodriguez singled to start the inning and scored from first with two outs as Brian Nicolas' fly ball to right was dropped.
- Vincenzo Castronovo increased Bryant's lead to 3-0 with a two-out RBI single to left center in the third. The single brought home Gustin who was hit by a pitch and stole second earlier in the inning.
- The Bulldog defense turned a big 4-6-3 double play in the fourth inning to eliminate a CCSU threat.
- Bryant extended the lead to 4-0 in the eighth as Smith brought home Ciliento with an RBI single.
- CCSU made things interesting in the bottom of the inning, plating a two-out run on a bloop single. The Blue Devils then loaded the bases but Smith was able to make a sliding catch in left center to end the threat.
- In the ninth, Dan Hussey led off with a home run but Mattison retired the next three hitters to close the door.
- CCSU outhit Bryant, 6-5.
- Mattison allowed two runs on six hits, walked two and struck out 12 in 9.0 innings.
- Smith drove in a pair of runs.
- Gustin doubled and scored a run.
- Ciliento now has 226 career hits, tying him with fellow Mahwah, N.J., native Cole Fabio.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 15-straight games.
- Gustin now has a team-leading 12 doubles and is tied for the team lead with five home runs.
- Mattison recorded his first-career 9.0 inning complete game.
- Mattison improved to 6-2 this season and claimed his 20th career victory. He's just the sixth pitcher in DI program history to reach the milestone.
- Mattison is now 14-2 in 21 career appearances (18) starts in NEC regular-season play.
- Mattison has now struck out 60 and walked just five on the year.
Bryant and Central Connecticut continue their series on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.