SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Led by a career-high 27 points from redshirt senior Peter Kiss, the Bryant University men's basketball team ran its winning streak to six with a 76-64 victory over Central Connecticut on Friday afternoon at the Chace Athletic Center.
With the win, the Black and Gold are 9-2 on the season and have swept each of their last two NEC series to move to 5-1.
A day after registering the first triple-double in DI program history, Kiss delivered another all-around effort, posting 27 points, seven rebounds, three assists and four steals. Junior Chris Childs added 19 and sophomore Michael Green III finished with 14 points, five boards and five assists.
Bryant 76, Central Connecticut 64
Records: Bryant 9-2, 5-1 NEC | CCSU 2-7, 2-4 NEC
Location: Chace Athletic Center
- Leading by just five at the half, Kiss and Hurtado Jr. helped the Bulldogs open the half on a 13-2 run. Kiss scored eight and Hurtado Jr. added five in the run.
How it Happened
- Bryant got off to a slow start on Friday and trailed 7-3 before a 13-0 run put them in front. Green III started the run with a three and finished it with a driving layup to make it 16-7. Bryant made 6-of-7 shots during the run.
- CCSU would keep the game within two possessions, closing to a 24-23 deficit before a Hall Elisias alley-oop dunk.
- Kiss spurred another late run as he scored four quick points around a steal.
- Childs put Bryant up by five at the half with a three with 30 seconds left.
- Kiss and Hurtado Jr. then provided the spark to start the second half. Kiss finished a layup off a pass from Hurtado Jr. and then converted a three-point play to make it 44-32.
- Kiss and Hurtado Jr. then closed the run with back-to-back threes, forcing a CCSU timeout with 16:22 left.
- After CCSU cut the deficit to 11, Childs converted a three-point play to make it 64-50 with 8:04 left.
- A Nathaniel Stokes three thanks to excellent ball movement made it a 15-point lead and Bryant was on its way.
- Bryant finished the game 30-of-64 (46.9 percent) from the field, 9-of-29 (31 percent) from three and 7-of-7 (100 percent) from the line.
- The Bulldogs outrebounded CCSU, 40-32.
- Bryant posted 18 assists and had nine steals.
- Kiss led all scorers with 27 points on 11-of-16 shooting. He added seven boards, three assists and four steals.
- Childs had 19 points on 6-of-15 shooting (4-of-11 from three). He added two boards and three assists.
- Green III posted 14 points, five boards and five assists.
- Hurtado Jr. finished with five points and six boards.
- Charles Pride posted four points, six boards and five assists.
- Stokes contributed three points and five rebounds.
- Bryant continues its best start in DI program history at 9-2. The Bulldogs are now 5-1 in the NEC.
- The Bulldogs improved to 6-0 at home this season.
- Bryant has won six-straight games for just the third time in the last 16 seasons. It is the second-longest streak in DI program history (8, 2012-13).
- Kiss finished with a career-high 27, beating his previous high of 23 that was set his freshman season at Quinnipiac (Feb. 4, 2017).
- Kiss has now scored in double-figures 10 times and has seven 20-point games.
- Green III has scored in double-figures in all 11 games and is averaging a team-best 18.0 ppg.
- Green III became the 10th player in DI program history to reach 150 career assists. He has 151.
- Childs has scored in double-figures in all 11 games this year.
- Childs averaged 19.5 ppg in two games vs. CCSU.
Bryant returns to the floor next week when they travel to Loretto, Pennsylvania, to take on Saint Francis U on Thursday and Friday. Thursday's game will air on ESPN+.