SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's basketball team will make its second postseason appearance in Division I program history on Monday when it faces Coastal Carolina in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) in Daytona Beach, Florida. Tip is set for 2:30 p.m. and the game will be streamed on FloHoops.
Bryant received an invitation to the CBI after going 15-6 and advancing to the program's first-ever Northeast Conference Championship game. The Bulldogs will be facing a Coastal Carolina team that went 16-7, falling to eventual Sun Belt champion Appalachian State in the semifinals.
Opponent: Coastal Carolina
Location: Ocean Center (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
Date and Time: Monday, Mar. 22 – 2:30 p.m.
Watch: FloHoops (Requires Subscription)
Live Stats: Monday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #KEB1 | #NECMBB
Bryant and Coastal Carolina have never met on the hardwood. In fact, the Bulldogs will be playing a member of the Sun Belt Conference for just the second time in history. Bryant defeated UL Monroe in 2016. Other Bryant programs have faced Coastal Carolina in the past, including football, baseball and softball.
SCOUTING THE CHANTICLEERS
CCU went 16-7 this season, falling to eventual champion Appalachian State in the semifinals. The Chanticleers were one of the nation's highest-scoring offenses for most of the year and enter the CBI averaging 79.8 ppg. DeVante Jones leads the team with 20.0 a night, while Deanthony Tipler is averaging 14.5.
WHAT TO KNOW
- Bryant is making its second postseason appearance in DI program history. The Bulldogs also competed in the CBI in 2013, falling to Richmond, 76-71.
- Bryant is coming off a loss in the NEC Championship game against Mount St. Mary's, 73-68. It was Bryant's first home loss of the season.
- Head coach Jared Grasso is in his third season on the Bryant sidelines, having posted a 40-43 record. He's led the Bulldogs to a 30-23 record the last two seasons.
- Peter Kiss leads the Bulldogs in scoring at 16.9 per game and was fourth in the NEC with 17.7 ppg in league games. Kiss has scored 20+ points on 10 occasions and posted a double-double in the NEC Final.
- Charles Pride is coming off one of the most historic performances in program history, as he scored 33 points on 8-of-12 shooting from three in the final. The 33 points are the most by a Bryant player in the postseason since 2005 and his eight threes set an NEC Championship game record.
- Michael Green III ranks seventh in the NEC in scoring, sixth in assists and 11th in free throw percentage.
- Chris Childs is one of the nation's top three-point shooters, ranking top 30 nationally in 3FG per game. He's made 5+ 3s in game four times.
- Hall Elisias ranks 13th nationally in blocks per game (2.6) and leads the NEC in field goal percentage (.657). Elisias ranks 20th nationally in effective field goal percentage and 31st nationally in block percentage.
- Luis Hurtado Jr. recorded his third double-digit scoring effort of the season in the NEC Semifinal. He also recorded his sixth game of 5+ assists this season.