Tucson, AZ - Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) of the Bryant University softball team pitched a complete game and kept the Bulldogs within two runs after the second inning against No. 4 Arizona in game two of the Bulldogs Saturday doubleheader.
The Bulldogs were defeated by a score of 13-5 against Northern Iowa. Then Fell 3-1 in a pitchers duel against Arizona who was a participant in the Women's College World Series last season.
Game 1: Northern Iowa 13, Bryant 5
Game 2: Arizona 3, Bryant 1
W | L | S (Gm 1): Samantha Heyer (2-4) | Sarah McKeveny (0-2)
W | L | S (Gm 2): Mariah Lopez (6-0) | Gabrielle Ermish (0-2)
Coach French's Comments
"I'm extremely happy with our effort today we got down early in the first game and roared back with 5 runs. Against Arizona, we had the tying run at the plate in the 6th inning against the No. 4 team in the country. A great effort this weekend and really a lot of credit to Gabi for really keeping the Arizona hitters off balance.
Key Moment vs. Northern Iowa
- The Panthers scored four runs in the bottom of the third to break away from the Bulldogs who were within one after the top of the third inning.
How it Happened vs. Northern Iowa
- Northern Iowa hit two home runs and scored on a fielder's choice to take a 6-0 lead.
- The Bulldogs had a five-run inning in the top of the third. Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) hit an RBI double, which was followed by a two-RBI single from Aleix Hudson (Lawrenceville, Ga,). Then the inning was capped off by a two-run home run from Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) to put the Black and Gold within one (6-5).
- The Panthers then responded with a 4 run outburst in the bottom half of the third to take a 5 run lead (10-5).
- Northern Iowa then hit an RBi double in the bottom of the fourth making the lead 11-5.
- In the bottom of the fifth, the Panthers hit an RBI double than an RBI single to extend their lead to 13-5 ending the game.
Stats vs. Northern Iowa
- Politis had a great game with two hits, two RBI's, a double, and a two-run home run. Fellow Bulldog Hudson also had two RBI's to go along with a hit. Hernandez joined the pair with a hit and an RBI.
- Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.), Ermish, Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.), and Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) all had hits for the Black and Gold.
- Jocelyn Bodington (St. John, Ind.) led the way with four strikeouts while teammate Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) had two strikeouts on the day.
Key Moment vs Arizona
- Arizona scored three runs in the first inning.
How it Happened vs Arizona
- Arizona hit an RBI single and then a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning to take a 3-0 lead.
- Jenna Gardner (Millville, N.J.) hit an RBI double down the left-field line to bring in Hernandez to cut the lead to 3-1 in the top of the second inning.
- After that, it turned into a pitching duel as both teams didn't score the rest of the game.
Stats vs Arizona
- Gardner tallied a hit and an RBI for the Bulldogs. Bell and Hernandez also got a hit for the Black and Gold.
- Ermish struck out two Arizona batters and pitched the entire game.
- Politis has now had a home run every year she's been a Bulldog.
- Hudson recorded the first two RBI's of her career.
- Ermish held the Wildcats scoreless after the first inning.
The Bulldogs will head to Macon, Georgia to compete in the 2020 Black and Orange Challenge. They will begin the challenge with a Friday doubleheader against Akron followed by a game against Georgia St.