LORETTO, Pa. – The Bryant University women's basketball team erased a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit by getting within three in the final two minutes, but Saint Francis held on to top the Bulldogs, 64-58, in Loretto.
Three Bulldogs notched double-figures led by senior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) and sophomore Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) who each grabbed 14 each. Senior Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) added 10 and sank the only three-point of the night for the Black and Gold.
Saint Francis 64, Bryant 58
Records: Bryant (5-14, 3-5), Saint Francis (9-12, 7-3)
Location: Degol Arena (Loretto, Pa.)
- SFU's early 10-0 run gave the Red Flash the initial lead that they held onto for the entirety of the game.
- Bryant got within three with 1:30 left in the game thanks to a layup by junior Kandis Taylor (Sunrise, Fla.) in transition to close out a 10-0 run for the Black and Gold. But the Red Flash went on to get seven-of-eight from the stripe to ice the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Late into the first quarter, the Red Flash took off on a 10-0 run as they grew to a six-point lead at the end of the first ten minutes, 14-8.
- The Bulldogs piggybacked off Holloway's four points at the end of the first frame by scoring the next six to start the second quarter marking a 10-0 run. Taylor took the ball coast-to-coast for a layup in transition to close out the run and tie the game at 14 apiece.
- Saint Francis answered Bryant's run by heating up from behind the arc. The Red Flash shot a game-high four-of-nine from three in the second frame alone to jump to a 10-point lead at the end of the half, 34-24.
- At 6:51 in the third quarter, the Bulldogs swung the ball in the half court when Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) found a LaFrance Boyce at the top of the key for three to put the Black and Gold within seven, 38-31, before both teams went on a five and a half minute scoring drought.
- SFU's Phee Allen ended the drought with a layup off an inbound play and the Red Flash ended the quarter outscoring the Bulldogs 6-2. Saint Francis headed into the fourth quarter with an 11-point cushion, 44-33.
- A layup with 6:41 left in the game helped the Red Flash grow to its biggest lead of the game, 53-39.
- After the final media timeout, Holloway drove to the basket to kick start a 10-0 run to put Bryant within three with 1:30 left to play, 57-54.
- With the Bulldogs forced to foul, the Red Flash went seven-of-eight from the foul line to close out the game as Bryant was only able to grab two more buckets before the final horn, 64-58.
- Bravo was one rebound away from a double-double pulling down nine and netting 14 points. The sophomore shot seven-of-nine from the field.
- Holloway matched Bravo with 14 off six-of-14 shooting from the field and a perfect two-for-two mark from the stripe.
- LaFrance Boyce added 10 and hit the only three-pointer for the Bulldogs as the Black and Gold shot one-of-11 as a team from behind the arc.
- Both Brooke Bjelko (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) and Taylor added eight apiece.
- Saint Francis outrebounded the Bulldogs by two, 44-42.
- Bryant shot a perfect five-for-five from the charity stripe.
- Holloway is now eight rebounds away from the 1,000 milestone.
- The Bulldogs posted a season-low of just eight turnovers.
- Bryant drops to 9-13 all-time against Saint Francis and 2-9 all-time in Loretto.
UP NEXT: Robert Morris
The Bulldogs remain in western Pennsylvania to meet with undefeated Robert Morris on Monday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. in Moon Township.