LOWELL, Mass. – Sophomore Alexa Weber (Sout Windsor, Conn.) led the Bryant University women's lacrosse team to victory over UMass Lowell as she broke the all-time single-game goal record with nine to help the Bulldogs take down the Riverhawks, 16-10, on Friday evening.
Weber surpassed both Jess Demeo '19 and Allison Faiola '10 on the all-time list. The sophomore's career-game also places her second with Shaun Leddy '07 and Faiola with 10 points in a single game.
Bryant 16, UMass Lowell 10
Records: Bryant (4-1), UMass Lowell (1-4)
Location: Cushing Field (Lowell, Mass.)
COACH ROCHE'S COMMENTS
"Alexa Weber was the spark we needed out there today. She really stepped it up for our team," said head coach Brianna Roche. "I'm proud of her accomplishment today and look forward to her continued development. We still have some things to work on as a team in terms of execution, but we will get back to work next week in preparation for our spring break trip."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant wasted no time getting on the board when Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) found Devon Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) cutting towards the net for the first goal of the game in just the first 50 seconds.
- Just 15 seconds later, Weber speeds past her defender to make it 2-0 in Bryant's favor.
- UMass Lowell got on the board at the 27:19 mark, but Weber responded with back-to-back goals.
- The Riverhawks evened the scored at five apiece with a 4-1 scoring run, broken up by a free position goal from Breglia.
- Weber netted a free position followed by one more from Breglia to take back the advantage, but the Riverhawks went on to get one more before the end of the half to get back within one, 7-6.
- UMass Lowell's Samantha Blair started things off in the second half by tying the score at seven all before Weber notched two-straight to give the Bulldogs a two-goal lead, 9-7.
- The Riverhawks pulled within one but Weber passed it off to Katie Clark (New Fairfield, Conn.) to spark a 3-0 Bryant run, 12-8.
- The two teams went goal-for-goal until the final four minutes when Bryant netted three-straight to close out the game, 16-10.
- Weber tallied nine goals off 13 attempts while also picking up an assist for a total of 10 points. Weber also led with four ground balls and two caused turnovers, as well as adding four draw controls.
- Breglia added three goals and an assist.
- Emma Lindquist (Windham, N.H.), Devon Bolen, and Clark each added one apiece in Bryant's victory.
- Cassidy Burns (Massapequa, N.Y.) dished out a team-high two assists.
- Devon Bolen led the Black and Gold with seven draw controls.
- Gabriella Henry (Massapequa, N.Y.) matched Weber with two caused turnovers.
- Junior Giana Kapoosuzian (Merrick, N.Y.) stopped eight in between the pipes.
- Weber exploded for a career-game by snapping the all-time single-game goal record with a career-high nine goals, 10 points, and four ground balls. The Connecticut native also matched her career-best with two caused turnovers.
- Bolen's seven draw controls marked a career-best.
- Lindquist and Clark each netted their first goals of the season.
- As a team, the Bulldogs posted their best scoring outburst of 16. Bryant also matched their season-high of seven assists.
UP NEXT: Longwood
Bryant takes an 11-day break as the Bulldogs aren't set to play again until March 11 at Longwood when the Black and Gold head to Virginia for a pair of spring break contests.