DECATUR, Ga. – Freshman Alex Lane (Andover, Mass.) and senior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) both homered but Georgia State held on for a 7-4 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Saturday afternoon.
**Sunday's series finale has been moved up to a 12:00 p.m. first pitch.**
Lane's second career home run briefly tied the game in the top of the third but the Panthers scored five times in their next two at-bats to tie the series at a game apiece. Ciliento made things interesting with a three-run home run in the top of the ninth.
Georgia State 7, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (1-5), Georgia State (4-2)
Location: GSU Baseball Complex (Decatur, Ga.)
W|L|S: Ryan Watson (1-0) | Tyler Schoff (0-2)
Coach Klosterman's Comments
"Tip our hat to their starter Ryan Watson who was very efficient today. Every weekend you try and win a series and we have that opportunity tomorrow."
- After Bryant tied the game in the top of the third, Georgia State scored five times in its next two at-bats to take a 6-1 lead.
How it Happened
- Georgia State scored first for the second-straight game. A walk and a hit batter put two runners on and Kalen Puckett doubled to score a run. The Panthers would strand the bases loaded.
- Bryant responded in the next inning as Lane clobbered his second home run of the season to right field.
- The Panthers answered with three runs in the bottom of the third. A walk and back-to-back singles scored the first run, a safety squeeze plated the second and Tanner Gallman's two-out single made it 4-1.
- GSU pushed its lead to 6-1 on a two-out, two-RBI bloop double from Will Mize.
- Trailing 7-1 in the ninth, the Bulldogs put two on and Ciliento drilled a three-run shot to left field.
- Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) allowed six runs on six hits, walked five and struck out two over 3.2 innings.
- Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) allowed one run on five hits, walked three and struck out six over 3.1 innings of relief.
- Jack Owens (Scituate, R.I.) pitched a scoreless eighth.
- Ciliento went 1-for-4 with a home run and three RBI.
- Lane finished 1-for-3 with a home run and two runs scored.
- Bryant turned two double plays in the game.
- GSU out-hit Bryant, 11-4.
Notes and Notables
- Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) doubled and now has three doubles in the first two games of the weekend series.
- Lane now leads the team with two home runs on the season.
- Ciliento has now reached safely in 13-straight games dating back to last season.
- Ciliento now has 15 career home runs.
- Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) singled and has reached safely in eight-straight dating back to last year.
- Treuel's six strikeouts were a career high.
Bryant and Georgia State will meet in the rubber match on Sunday afternoon at 12:00 p.m.