COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Sophomore Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) posted three hits and hit his first home run of the season but the Bryant University baseball team fell to Maryland on Sunday afternoon.
Gustin finished 3-for-4 with a double, home run, two RBI and a run scored. Freshman Derek Smith (Arundel, Maine) tripled and drove in a run for the Bulldogs.
Maryland 13, Bryant 3
Records: Bryant (2-11), Maryland (10-4)
Location: Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Sean Burke (2-0) | Will Treuel (0-3)
- Leading 5-3 in the fifth, the Bulldogs were unable to turn an inning-ending double play and the Terps would score three runs in the inning.
How it Happened
- Bryant got on the board first as Smith reached on an error to open the game and came around to score on a double from Gustin.
- Maryland answered with two runs in the bottom of the first. Maxwell Costes homered to tie the game and an RBI single followed a walk and a hit batter.
- Sophomore Matt Woods (Warwick, R.I.) walked to open the second, stole second and third and came home on a triple to left from Smith, tying the game at 2-2.
- The Terps answered again, scoring twice in the second. Smith appeared to make a diving catch in left-center but it was overruled and turned into a double. An RBI ground out broke the tie and a throwing error on a double steal scored the second run.
- Gustin pulled Bryant within a run with a leadoff home run in the top of the third.
- Maryland scored in the bottom of the third, added three more in the fifth and put the game away with four unearned runs in the seventh.
- Junior Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) allowed five runs (four earned) on four hits, walked five and struck out four over 3.2 innings.
- Classmate Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) tossed a scoreless inning.
- Gustin finished 3-for-4 with a double, a home run and two RBI.
- Smith tripled, drove in a run and scored a run.
- Woods walked twice, stole two bases and scored a run.
- Bryant hit into four double plays in the game.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 2-13 all-time against Maryland.
- Gustin now has a team-high six doubles on the season.
- Gustin's home run was his first since last season's opening weekend at Abilene Christian.
- Smith hit the first triple of his career.
- Woods stole multiple bases for the first time in his career.
The Bulldogs continue their spring break trip with a pair of midweek games against Western Carolina on Tuesday and Wednesday.