CONWAY, S.C. – No. 23 West Virginia hit six home runs, including a three-run home run with two outs in the top of the ninth, to stun the Bryant University baseball team, 9-7, on Sunday afternoon.
The Bulldogs hit three home runs of their own to build a 5-1 lead and took a 7-5 lead to the top of the ninth. West Virginia, however, took advantage of a two-out error and pinch-hitter Nathan Blasick hit a three-run home run to give the Mountaineers the lead.
Liam McGill hit a pair of home runs and finished with his fourth-straight three-hit game to pace the Bryant offense. James Ciliento also homered and Jake Gustin posted a pair of hits. Tyler Schoff earned a no decision after striking out a career-high seven over 6.0 innings of three-run ball.
No. 23 West Virginia 9, Bryant 7
Records: Bryant (2-4), No. 23 West Virginia (4-3)
Location: Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
W|L|S: Jacob Watters (1-0) | Jack Ipsen (0-1) | Sylar Gonzalez
- McGill and Ciliento hit back-to-back home runs to give the Bulldogs a 5-1 lead in the fifth.
- The Mountaineers grabbed the lead with a two-out, three-run home run in the ninth.
How it Happened
- McGill gave the Bulldogs a quick lead with a two-run home run down the left field line in the first.
- After West Virginia hit a home run of its own in the top of the second, Michael Stellato walked and came around to score on a Mountaineer error to make it 3-1 after two.
- It stayed that way until McGill and Ciliento hit back-to-back home runs in the fifth.
- West Virginia answered with back-to-back home runs of its own in the top of the sixth.
- Bryant got a run back in the bottom half on a throwing error.
- The Mountaineers made it a 6-5 game with a pair of home runs in the top of the eighth.
- Bryant added a run in the bottom of the eighth as Tommy DiTullio walked and came around to score on a wild pitch.
- In the top of the ninth, a sac fly made it a 7-6 game. West Virginia then put two on with two outs on a walk and an error, setting up Blasick's three-run home run.
- West Virginia outhit the Bulldogs, 16-9.
- The two teams combined to hit nine home runs and commit nine errors.
- McGill finished 3-for-5 with two home runs and three RBI.
- Ciliento went 2-for-5 with a home run.
- Gustin added two hits and a run scored.
- Stellato scored a pair of runs.
- Schoff struck out seven and allowed three runs on 10 hits over 6.0 innings.
Notes and Notables
- McGill has now posted four-straight three-hit games and is 13-for-22 on the year.
- McGill finished the three-game weekend 9-for-13 (.692) with five RBI and four runs scored. He posted a .714 OBP.
- Woods has reached safely in all six games this season and 10-straight dating back to last season.
- Schoff has posted career highs in strikeouts in each of his first two starts.
Bryant wraps up the southern portion of its schedule with a four-game series at UNC Greensboro next weekend.