ANDOVER, Mass. – Tyler Mattison tied a career-high with nine strikeouts and Derek Smith and James Ciliento combined to drive in eight runs as the Bryant University baseball team defeated Merrimack 10-0 in its Northeast Conference opener on Saturday.
Mattison fanned nine over 6.0 scoreless innings as the Black and Gold posted their second shutout of the year. Christian Allegretti earned his first save as a Bulldog, striking out six over 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Batting 1-2 in the order, Smith and Ciliento did the rest. Smith reached base five times, finishing 3-for-3 with two walks and four RBI, while Ciliento hit a three-run home run and finished with four RBI. Liam McGill, Vincenzo Castronovo and Matt Woods all added two hits.
Bryant 10, Merrimack 0
Records: Bryant (3-7, 1-0 NEC), Merrimack (3-6, 0-1 NEC)
Location: Greater Lawrence Technical School (Andover, Mass.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (2-2) | Zappulla (0-2) | Christian Allegretti (1)
- Ciliento highlighted a five-run second inning with a three-run home run to left field. Bryant led 6-0 and never looked back.
How it Happened
- Bryant got on the board in the first inning Saturday with an unearned run. Gustin reached on a throwing error with two outs and McGill followed with an RBI single to center.
- The Black and Gold extended their lead with a five-run second. Two walks and a single loaded the bases and Smith followed with a two-run single up the middle. Ciliento then hit the next pitch over the left field wall for a three-run home run.
- Bryant added a run in the sixth on a two-out RBI single from Ciliento.
- The Black and Gold closed the scoring with three runs in the seventh. Castronovo delivered a pinch-hit single and Tommy DiTullio followed with an RBI single. Another single loaded the bases and Smith followed with a two-run single to make it 10-0.
- Bryant outhit Merrimack, 12-6.
- The Bulldogs didn't commit an error in the contest.
- Mattison allowed four hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out nine over 6.0 scoreless.
- Allegretti allowed two hits, walked one and struck out six over 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Smith went 3-for-3 with two walks and four RBI.
- Ciliento finished 3-for-5 with a home run and four RBI.
- McGill went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Castronovo finished 2-for-2 after pinch hitting.
- DiTullio went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a career-high three runs.
- Woods finished 2-for-5.
- Bryant and Merrimack were meeting for the first time at the Division I level.
- Smith set career-highs for hits (3) and RBI (4).
- Ciliento hit his 18th career home run, tying him with Matt Albanese and Buck McCarthy for the fifth-most in DI program history.
- Ciliento also moved into fifth place in DI program history with 125 career RBI.
- Ciliento now has 197 career hits, four shy of becoming just the eighth player in DI program history with 200 career hits.
- Mattison matched his career-high in strikeouts that he set in the 2019 NEC Tournament.
- Mattison is now 10-2 in 17 appearances (14 starts) against NEC opponents.
- Allegretti struck out a career-high six to earn his first save as a Bulldog.
Bryant and Merrimack will finish their three-game series on Sunday with a doubleheader. First pitch of game one is set for 12:00 p.m.