SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Vito Morgese tossed a complete-game shutout as the Bryant University baseball team defeated Long Island University, 5-0, to claim the Northeast Conference series.
Morgese scattered seven hits, walked three and struck out six in the first complete game of his career. He threw a career-high 113 pitches and also picked off two runners.
The Bulldogs gave Morgese some breathing room with four two-out runs in the fifth powered by back-to-back home runs from Liam McGill and Derek Smith. Both McGill and Smith finished with a pair of hits.
Bryant 5, Long Island 0
Records: Bryant (19-11-1, 15-3 NEC), LIU (14-11, 12-9 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Vito Morgese (2-2) | Alec Huertas (1-3)
- Matt Woods was hit with a 2-2 pitch in the fifth, starting a two-out rally that was highlighted by back-to-back dingers from McGill and Smith.
How it Happened
- Woods jumpstarted the Bulldogs in the first as well, singling to start the game. He would move to second on a fly out and score on a seeing-eye single from Smith to make it 1-0.
- It remained that way into the fifth thanks to Morgese. He struck out the side in the third and then got some help on an interference call that turned a fielder's choice into a key 4-6-3 double play.
- In the fifth, Huertas retired the first two Bulldogs on just two pitches. Woods, however, worked the count and was hit with a 2-2 pitch. Jake Gustin followed with a bloop single to left, bringing McGill to the plate. McGill hammered the first pitch over the scoreboard in right center for a three-run shot. Smith followed suit, hitting an opposite-field home run to make it 5-0.
- Morgese then came back out and closed out his first-career complete game.
- Bryant played error-free baseball a day after committing five errors.
- The Bulldogs outhit LIU, 8-7.
- Morgese allowed seven hits, walked three and struck out six in a complete-game effort.
- Woods finished with a pair of runs scored.
- McGill had two hits, including a home run, and three RBI.
- Smith had two hits, including a home run.
- James Ciliento collected a pair of singles.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 21-straight games.
- Damaurys Rodriguez saw his hitting streak come to an end at 19 games.
- McGill has reached safely in all 26 games he's played this season.
- McGill's home run was his eighth of the year and he now has 36 RBI.
- Morgese tossed his first-career complete game and first-career shutout.
- Morgese is the first Bulldog to toss a complete-game shutout since Steve Theetge in the NEC Tournament opener in 2019.
- Morgese is now eighth in DI program history with 168 strikeouts. He is third among lefties.
- Smith's home run was his fourth of the year.
- Bryant has now won each of its six NEC series this year.
The Bulldogs travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., on Wednesday afternoon to face Boston College. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.