Staten Island, N.Y. - Jenna Gardner of the Bryant Univeristy softball team hit a grand slam and produced six RBI's in a 3-4 hitting effort during the 7-0 win in game two against Wagner. The Bulldogs fell to the Seahawks 6-3 in game one of the Saturday doubleheader.
Game 1: Wagner 6, Bryant 3
Game 2: Bryant 7, Wagner 0
Location: Wagner Softball Field (Staten Island, N.Y.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Eve Harvey (5-4) | Caroline Paolantonio (0-1)
W | L | S: Game 2: Jocelyn Bodington (2-5) | Amelia Van Orman (3-3)
Coach French's Comments
"I'm really proud of our fight today and be able to close out the series with a win. We did some good things in game one, including turning a crazy triple play, and that helped build momentum that carried us through the final game. We were very young this weekend, missing a lot of kids, but this group gave everything they had and, it's a great building block".
Key Moment (Game 1)
- Wagner scored five runs, including a grand slam in the bottom of the third.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- Alexis Clancy hit a lead-off double and then advanced to third on a Black and Gold groundout. Gardner hit a two-out RBI single to bring in the run in the top of the second (1-0).
- In the bottom of the third, The Seahawks hit an RBI double and a grand slam to take a four-run lead (5-0.)
- Hailey Aspinwall launched a solo home run and Courtney Paolantonio notched an RBI single after Toni Camarillo reached on a Wagner error in the top of the fifth (5-3).
- Wagner added one more run on an RBI single to left field in the bottom of the sixth (6-3).
- Aleix Hudson, Courtney Paolantonio, Clancy, Gardner, and Erica Barley recorded a hit.
- Courtney Paolantonio, Gardner, and Aspinwall produced an RBI.
- Gardner stole a base.
- Caroline Paolantonio and Clancy pitched three innings and struck out one batter.
Key Moment (Game 1)
- Gardner hit a grand slam to center in the top of the fifth.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- Megan Marcel hit a one-out single to the shortstop. Trystan Salvador was walked, and then Gardner cleared the bases with an RBI double. Barley brought Gardner in to score by hitting an RBI single to left in the top of the fourth (3-0).
- In the top of the fifth inning, Courtney Paolantonio, Clancy, and Marcel hit a single, double, and walked to load the bases. Gardner then hit a bomb to dead center for the first grand slam of her career (7-0).
Stats (Game 2)
- Gardner went 3-4 and produced six RBIs.
- Camarillo, Barley, and Marcel tallied two hits. Barley also had an RBI.
- Salvador and Courtney Paolantonio recorded a hit.
- Bodington pitched a complete game shutout with seven strikeouts.
- Bryant had 11 hits in game two, which is the most they've had as a team this season.
- Gardner tallied six RBIs in game two and seven total on the day.
- The Black and Gold have hit two grand slams this season.
- Bodington pitched the first complete game of her career.
- The Bulldogs improved to 2-9 and won their first Northeast Conference game of the season.
Bryant will welcome Maine for a Tuesday afternoon doubleheader.