SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's and women's track and field team broke several records as they hosted Rhode Island and Central Connecticut in a tri-meet on Saturday afternoon.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"Today was a big step in the right direction for our program. URI and CCSU are both very strong programs and our crew took that as a challenge and competed well. We had a slew of PRs and big performances from Jason, Will, Lois, Shileigh, Sarah, and Jasmine. Ending the meet with a victory in the men's 4x4 and Will's come-from-behind anchor leg on our home track was a great way for our team to come together and celebrate. There's a lot of potential with this group and I'm excited to see where they take it the rest of the season."
TEAM RESULTS (M)
1. Rhode Island – 130
2. Central Connecticut – 44
3. Bryant - 35
TEAM RESULTS (W)
1. Rhode Island – 135
2. Bryant – 41
3. Central Connecticut – 19
MEN TOP PERFORMERS
- Freshman Will Remkiewicz had a standout performance today in multiple events. In the Go Jake Go Men's 400m, Remkiewicz won first overall with a time of 47.17 which ranks him second all-time in Bryant's record book. The rookie also anchored the 3:17.64 or Bust Men's 4x400m Relay which he led to a thrilling first-place finish. The relay team was made up of Ethan Ferraiola, Dolan, Jacob Goodman, and Remkiewicz.
- Junior Jason Dolan broke Bryant's school record in the mile run with a time of 4:10.74. Dolan finished first overall out of 19 runners.
- Bryant posted six runners who finished among the top-10 in the Ryan Poholek's Birthday Bash Men's 800m (25th Anniversary Edition). Freshman Alex Petruso led the way for the Black and Gold in third-place with a PR of 2:01.53. Every Bulldog who finished among the top-10 set a new PR, including Aidan Macsweeney (2:03.32), Luke Silva (2:04.85), Jonathan Iamarone (2:05.83), Adam Kaiser (2:06.98), and Ashton Burnett (2:07.30).
- Sophomore Nicholas Brancato finished with a time of 9:54.79 in the Hall of Fame 2008 Men's 3,000 Steeplechase. The event was the first-ever steeplechase that Brancato competed in during his career as a Bulldog. His time ranks him fourth all-time.
- The 4x800 team of William Bittrich, Evan Coyne, Jordan Dagrin, and Nolan Hickey came out victorious as they crossed the finish line at 8:01.02 for a first-place finish in the Maggie Mae (in honor of Shawn Nassaney) Men's 4x800m Relay. The team is now eighth all-time.
- Freshman Divas Cruz made his rookie debut in high jump and now ranks third all-time in the event clearing a height of 1.90m. He finished third overall trailed by Trey Muraoka who finished fourth with a 1.85m mark. Caleb Tondora also posted a 1.85m mark for a fifth-place finish, and the duo ties at fifth all-time.
- Freshman Mason Jones enters into Bryant's record book after clearing a personal-best 4.10m in pole vault. He ranks eighth all-time and finished fifth overall in the meet.
- Sophomore Aidan Smith led Bryant in long jump with a personal-best mark of 6.56m. He ranks sixth all-time.
- Grant Dubiel set a PR in shot put throwing 13.88m.
- Both Samuel Sargent and Thomas McNeil each set a PR in hammer throw. Sargent finished seventh with a 43.63m mark followed by McNeil who finished eighth with a 41.67m mark.
WOMEN TOP PERFORMERS
- Junior Shileigh Martinez and freshman Lois Warden now share Bryant's school record in pole vault as they both cleared a height of 3.50m. Warden finished second overall while Martinez placed third as they combined for five points to bring to the women's team score.
- Junior Julia Ayres led the Bulldogs to a second-place finish in the Ayres Insurance Agency Women's 5,000m. Ayres crossed the finish line at 17:47.56 for a personal best and she now ranks seventh all-time.
- Freshman Jasmine Hope led Bryant in two events. Hope finished second overall in the 100m with a PR of 12.48. She continues to rank sixth all-time. The rookie then finished first overall in long jump with a personal-best jump of 5.63m. She sits at second all-time in Bryant's record book.
- Sophomore Patricia Adesanya also placed in the top-five in the 100m with a PR of 13.10.
- Sophomore Emma Garrity is now sixth all-time at Bryant in the 400m with a PR of 58.76. She led Bryant to a third-place finish.
- Freshman Ali Kairys set a personal-best in the 800m with a time of 2:23.18.
- In her first career outdoor mile, junior Sarah Freeman broke the mile record with a time of 5:10.67. She led the Bulldogs in a second-place overall finish.
- Stephanie Decarli ties for sixth all-time in high jump when she cleared a personal-best 1.50m. The junior finished third overall.
- In throwing action, sophomore Julia Mechlinski set a pair of personal-bests in both discus and hammer throw. In discus, Mechlinski finished fifth with a 32.95m mark and she continues to sit at sixth all-time. In hammer throw, she finished seventh overall and ranks ninth all-time with a 40.23m mark.
- It was sophomore Anna Orticerio who led Bryant in hammer throw with a fifth-place finish. She threw for a personal-best of 47.02m and is now third all-time.
The Bulldogs hit the road for the first time in 2021 on April 2 at Coast Guard in New London, Conn.
Thank you to all who named an event for Saturday's meet!
Coach Reinhardt & Roy Lapidus '72 men's 200m
Go Jake Go Men's 400m
Chocolate Milk Women's 400 Hurdles
Ryan Poholek's Birthday Bash Men's 800m (25th Anniversary Edition)
MacSweeney Family Men's 1,500m
Hall of Fame Women's 1,500m
Blake Fenwick '15 Men's 5,000m
Ayres Insurance Agency Women's 5,000m
Hall of Fame 2008 Men's 3,000 Steeplechase
Hall of Fame 2008 Women's 3,000 Steeplechase
3:17.64 or Bust Men's 4x400m Relay
235 Seconds of Fun Women's 4x400m Relay
Maggie Mae (in honor of Shawn Nassaney) Men's 4x800m Relay
McCabe Family Senior Ceremony