SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's track and field team won Saturday's meet over American International and Brown while the men finished second as the teams prepare for the NEC Championship next weekend. Four broken school records and one facility record highlighted the meet as multiple Bulldogs set new personal bests and finished first overall in their respective events.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"Today was a huge step in the right direction for the program as we prepare for next weekend. Today was about getting that fire back that we started the season with and putting the team in a good spot for the NEC meet. I'd say we accomplished that goal. Multiple school records, PRs across the board, and a victory on the women's side. It's been a lot of fun to see the progression of the team this season and I'm excited to see what can happen next week."
TEAM RESULTS (M)
1. American International – 75
2. Bryant – 58
3. Brown – 52
TEAM RESULTS (W)
1. Bryant – 88
2. American International – 64
3. Brown – 32
MEN TOP PERFORMERS
- Junior Jason Dolan set a new school record in the 1500m. Dolan finished third overall with a time of 3:50.81.
- The 4x400 team of Ethan Ferraiolo, Andrew Canale, Dolan, and William Remkiewicz set a new facility record at the Track & Turf Complex. The team finished first overall with a time of 4:17.78.
- Ferraiola also ran the first leg in the 4x100 team that now ranks second all-time at Bryant. Along with Ferraiola, Jacob Goodman, Edward Cardarelli and Aidan Smith guided the team to a first-place finish with a time of 41.95.
- Remkiewicz is now third all-time at Bryant after setting a PR of 21.91 in the 200m. Cardarelli also PR'd in the event with a time of 22.85 as he finished fifth overall.
- Aidan Hickey etched his name in Bryant's record book with a personal-best time of 1:56.20 in the 800m. The rookie finished third in the meet and now ranks tenth all-time. Alex Petruso (1:58.61), Luke Silva (1:59.24), and Adam Kaiser (2:02.32) all set PRs as well in the event.
- Silva, Aidan MacSweeney, Peter Sullivan, and Kaiser finished first in the 4x800 with a time of 8:27.50.
- Mason Jones and Nicholas Mirecki set PRs in pole vault as they finished 1-2. The duo each cleared a height of 4.25m.
- In throwing action, sophomore Grant Dubiel set two personal bests. In shot put, Dubiel finished third overall with a 13.94m mark. In discuss, he finished second with a 40.64m mark. He improves to fifth all-time in both events.
- Senior Thomas McNeil also set a personal best in discuss as he finished fifth overall with a 33.44m mark.
- Bill Conlan and Sam Sargent both PR'd in hammer throw. Conlan led in second with a 47.78m mark followed by Sargent in third with a 45.29m mark.
WOMEN TOP PERFORMERS
- Pole vaulters Shileigh Martinez and Lois Warden were one of the many highlights on the women's side. The duo set the school record at 3.50m earlier this season and have raised the bar even higher as they both broke it again with PRs of 3.55m. They finished 1-2 in the event scoring a total of eight points for the Black and Gold.
- The 4x100 relay team of Nicole Xiarhos, Jasmine Hope, Christina Capozzi, and Ana Bertarelli broke the school record with a time of 48.52 and finished first overall. The record was previously set at 49.98 in 2016.
- Junior Sarah Freeman finished second overall in the 1500m as she shattered her personal best with a time of 4:37.70. Freeman previously set her PR at 4:50.4 and she now ranks fifth all-time at Bryant.
- Freshman Jasmine Hope took home first place in the 100m with a PR of 12.30, which is good for third in Bryant's record book. Three other Bulldogs also set personal-bests in the event, including Capozzi (12.99), Patricia Adesanya (13.06), and Olivia Angelo (13.23.).
- In the 200m, Nicole Xiarhos led the Bulldogs in first place with a time of 25.22. Angelo (27.32), Grace Yost (27.34), and Lauren Cawley (27.54) all set PRs in the event as well.
- Sophomore Emma Garrity was the lone Bulldog representing the Black and Gold in the 400m and she walked away with a second-place finish and a PR of 58.54.
- Both Ellie Goyette and Marissa Crowley set personal bests in the 800m. Goyette led the Bulldog pack with a time of 2:29.37 finished in third, while Crowley finished fifth with a time of 2:30.32. Freshman Ali Kairys finished fourth in the event with a time of 2:30.05.
- Freshman Shelby DeGrenier scored two points for the Bulldogs by finishing third in the 400m hurdles with a PR of 1:12.69.
- The 4x400 relay team of Marissa Crowley, Jill Doherty, Goyette, and Kierstin Lock finished first with a time of 4:37.46.
- Julia Ayres, Freeman, Kairys, and Garrity also finished first overall with a time of 9:58.33 in the 4x800 relay.
- Camryn Wesoloski and Lawlor finished 1-2 in high jump. Wesoloskie led in first with a 4.93m mark, followed by Lawlor in second with a 4.79m mark.
- Kasey Thomas finished first in shot put by throwing a 12.70m mark. Sophomore Lily LaGoy trailed right behind Thomas in second place with a 12.38m mark.
- Sophomore Anna Orticerio led in hammer throw with a PR of 47.29m which was good for first.